Thursday, June 4, 2015

Bias

Post-purchase rationalization

Remember that time you bought something that totally unnecessary, faulty, or lovely expense, and then you rationalized the purchase to such an extent that you convinced yourself it was a great idea all along? Yeah, that’s post-purchase rationalization in action-a kind of built-in mechanism that makes us feel better after we make crappy decisions, especially at the cash register. Also known as Buyer’s Stockholm Syndrome, it’s a way of subconsciously justifying our purchases- especially expensive ones. Social psychologists say it stems from the principle of commitment, our psychological desire to stay consistent and a void a state of cognitive dissonance.

In my point of view which accords to text above is people try to erase their guilty or hesitant decisions by creating reasons to support and tend not to look back if they made mistakes. I would love to say that this bias is totally me or many all shopaholics. It happens to me when I see things that I have never seen before and in a reasonable price, I always pop up with imagination for them, even it is completely not necessary for now but I will definitely imagine and think for future; it might useful one day or not, I can collect them.
Moreover, when I see “sale” sign on the price tag, I will automatically be like the first example because I used to pass by one backpack which I thought, I did not need this, due to I was currently in university who wanted to use backpack to university, just a high school students (That what I thought). So, I walked through it with no doubt. Now, when I travel and need to pack things but does not have to use luggage, the backpack in the past that never faded away from my mind; backpack is not always the bag for high school students and carry books to school, it can be anything else. Until now, I have never forgot that decision I made, it is kind of regret. Therefore, I will think over and over again when I am going to buy things and ask for comments from people around me, if i should not buy,good!then i can save money. 

This is very interesting article, people can not say 'i do not have bias' but it is 100% wrong, it depends on how much you are. Anyway, I can say this bias mostly occur in shopaholics (Not me) or among girls, they usually set up reasons that perfect enough to get what they want but might not useful. in order to avoid cognitive dissonance. 

Source: The 12 cognitive biases that prevent you from being rational
Pictures: Google

2 comments:

  1. For the first paragraph, I feel alike to those you have said above. I'm not the shopaholic person but I am certain thinker. Before purchase anything, I will think it carefully even it's a small accessories. For real, I want to buy my camera budgets. I just think over and buy it. After getting the things, I feel like every normal person. It's unneccessary for now, just for now. But It will be most useful for me in the future. You know I lost $6,000 for my cam accessories. Whatever, it's my life, I can stay with it all day & night, I can gat income from those things every projects. :) I'm not interested in the word: " SALE " like others girls because I'm not a girl hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True! i am not an exact shopaholic, Maybe i still have consciousness when buy things, it seems like thinking first. That's good for you that you earned from that, it worth $6000. One thing! you bought it because that's what you love and your desire just like girls with clothes. Don't you really interested in word "SALE"? even it's on you cam stuffs price tag.

      Delete